A delegation of Andhra Pradesh chapter of the Students Islamic Organisation of India met Rathod Ramesh, Member of Parliament of Adilabad and Ahmed Babu, DC Adilabad and discussed the issues faced by the students of IIIT Basar.
After the suicide case of a student from the institution, representatives of SIO AP visited the campus and found very serious negligence on the part of authorities in handling the case. Though the real reasons of the suicide are yet to come, the mismanagement inside the campus is very conspicuous. The institution is not upto standard and many students are disappointed due to the carelessness of the management and authorities.
When we talked to the students of IIIT Basar they complained us about many problems they are facing:
- No proper facility of drinking water is provided in the campus [students have to walk from one to another block for drinking water during late nights]
- Food they provide to students is unhygienic and tasteless, students within the campus says 60% of food is being wasted as the rice they provide is steamed rice which the students can’t eat.
- No proper medical facility inside the campus i.e., for 8000 students the campus hospital consist of 8-10 beds and just 2 doctors who are irregular to their work.
- No regular class work – since the start of this semester i.e., from January 20, 2014 not even a single class was conducted and semester has hardly 3 months duration to complete the syllabus.
- Insufficient number of faculty and many of them are incapable to teach. College authority is also unable to provide required books and publications to the students.
- No internet facility inside the campus.
- No proper guidance for internships and non responsive placement cell – students says 30 companies have registered for placement but only 5 have conducted interviews.
- Daily 6am to 6pm there will be power cut in the campus except Sunday’s.
- No clarity in examination schedule and no academic calendar is issued before the start of the semester.
- Even the result and certificates are not issued properly.
SIO condemns the irresponsible behavior of the higher officials and authority of IIIT Basar and demands the following on the behalf of the students:
- Government and authority of iiit basar should address the concerns of the students and should respond immediately.
- Vice-chancellor Prof.R V Raj Kumar should visit the campus and give condolence to the student (Nagaraju) of IIIT Basar who committed suicide on 23rd Feb 2014.
- No authority should be harsh to the students whose complains are so valid.
- Basic facilities like drinking water, hygienic food, medical, internet and books should be provided.
- Academic calendar should be issued before the start of semester along with exam schedule.
- Certificates should be issued semester wise with proper authority/official’s signatures.
- District collector, M.P and MLA of the Adilabad district should take a note of it and take necessary and quick steps for better future of the students.